The Alcazaba, in the centre of Málaga"s historical district, is an imposing edifice that was built between the eleventh and fourteenth centuries and that served as a fortress and palace. Here lived the rulers of Muslim Málaga. It has a very irregular floor plan, with all its living quarters at different levels in order to conform to the terrain and concentrated within two walled compounds.
The most notable sights in the first of these are the Arch of Christ, so called because for years it served as a chapel, and the Patio de Armas (Parade Ground), which like much of the premises has now been turned into an Arabic-style garden. In the second compound, similarly walled and strongly defended, is found the palace zone, the most noble of all the areas and containing three courtyards. This place is most remarkable for its caliphal arch work that opens onto a hall by way of which one enters the sixteenth century tower and the Maldonado tower.
These have original slender marble columns and are a magnificent vantage point from which to view the city. This architectural complex was disused for a long time but was reclaimed in the 1930"s and shored up and beautified a decade ago. It is possible to get to the Alcazaba"s upper area by means of a lift on the south side of the hill on Guillén Sotelo Street, right behind the city hall.
- Explanatory leaflets
- Located in an urban area
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.