Discalced Carmelite Convent Museum
Housed in the Discalced Carmelite Convent (1632), this museum was created to show visitors the world of El Carmelo and add to the cultural life of Antequera. As the nuns in the order founded by St Teresa of Jesus put it, the opening of the museum was a way of evangelising from the cloisters and putting the art heritage of the convent on display.
In fact, the historical heritage collected throughout the years is highly valuable. And it has not diminished with the passing of the time, for the sisters always chose hardship rather than selling part of it. Now, it is on display in four rooms in the cloisters and the church, dedicated to St Joseph.
At the Convent Museum, visitors will be able to admire works of great artistic value. The most outstanding is a bust of La Dolorosa in the so-called ‘Sala de la Tribuna’ (Gallery Hall), by Granada-born Pedro de Mena (1628-1688). Also, in the ‘Sala de la Soledad’ (Room of Solitude), there is a sculpture of Mary of Bethlehem, probable made by Luisa Roldán, aka ‘La Roldana’ (1652-1704?), which is one of the finest pieces in the collection.
Paintings play an important role too, with canvases from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries by the likes of Antonio Mohedano de la Gutierra, Luca Giordano or Antonio de Torres, from Mexico.
There are glass urns and cabinets too, containing images of Jesus the Child – like ‘Niño Jesús Pastorcito,’ probably by Francisco Salzillo – sculptures of Virgin Mary and St Joseph, and silverwork, including filigrees from Córdoba.
- Located in an urban area
- Inland area
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.