Surface Area: 162 square kilometres
What the natives are called: Moriscos
Outstanding Sights: La Asunción church, Santo Cristo chapel, Torre de la Vela (La Vela Tower), Huns-Xan-Biter castle, chapels of Tres Cruces and Sagrado Corazón, Lavadero de la Noria (La Noria Washing Area).
Geographical Location: in the Málaga mountains, bordering on the Antequera region on the north and on the west with the River Guadalhorce valley. The locality sits 363 metres above sea level and is 25 kilometres from the city of Málaga. The average annual precipitation does not exceed 600 litres per square metre and the average temperature is 16.4º C.
The boundaries of the sizable municipal territory of Almogía are formed by the El Torcal mountain range in the north and the nearby Hoya de Málaga (Málaga valley) in the south. Between these two geographic features stretches a region that is eminently mountainous and diverse but without rugged terrain, except for the Santi Petri peak, which at 797 metres is the highest point of this area.
Low brush and olive groves carpet virtually all this land, with a few widely scattered live oaks remaining as evidence of the primeval forest that once covered the region. The Los Retamares gorge and the peak of Santi Petri are two enclaves that are worth a visit for their scenic interest.
As is true of many other villages in the province of Málaga, Almogía was an important link between the coastal population and the interior cities, as is shown by the traces of a Roman road discovered in the municipality. Little more is known about the history of this village, but it again gained some prominence during the Muslim domination, especially during the Muladí rebellion led by Omar Ben Hafsun against the powerful Omeya dynasty of Córdoba. Enough records exist to support the belief that the Santi Petri fortress, now in ruins after its destruction by Christian troops in 1487, dates from that period.
The residents of Almogía became vassals of Castile after their surrender to the Catholic Monarchs, but years later joined the Moorish rebellion that sprang up in the mountain regions in 1570. Captain Francisco Sánchez de Córdoba, in command of 500 men, squashed the rebellion, and those implicated in it were relocated to other areas. So that the village would not remain uninhabited, a program was carried out to repopulate it with long-time Christians from Antequera and Teba, which during those times belonged to the kingdom of Seville.
As to the name of the locality, there is no doubt that it is Arabic in origin, but students of the subject are divided in their opinions about its true root. Some believe it comes from Al-mexía, of the lineage of the Mexíes, and to others the word simply means ‘pretty’ or ‘beautiful.’
The shortest way from Málaga capital to Almogía is to take the old Antequera road (A-6113) to Venta El Gato and from there, to take the A-423, which leads straight to this locality.
Full graphical path: http://bit.ly/ooV9GQ
You make your own trip, Click here Add a destination to your cart
Costa del Sol Tourist Board - Plaza de la Marina, nº4 - 29015 Málaga - Tel: +34952126272 - Fax: +34952225207 - email@example.com