Surface Area: 477.5 square kilometres
What the natives are called: Rondeños
Outstanding Sights: Puente Nuevo (New Bridge) and Visitor Centre, San Francisco convent, San Juan Bosco house, Virgen de la Paz church, Casa del Gigante (House of the Giant), Mondragón palace, Plaza Duquesa Parcent, Santa María de la Encarnación main church, Casita de la Torre (Little House of the Tower), City Hall, La Caridad church, Santa Isabel de los Ángeles convent, Espíritu Santo church, Puerta de Almocábar (Almocábar Gate), Puerta de Carlos V (Carlos V Gate), Franciscan Convent, San Francisco convent, Museo del Bandolero (Bandit Museum), Museo de la Caza (Hunting Museum), Museo Temático Lara (Lara Theme Museum), Museo Joaquín Peinado (Joaquín Peinado Museum), Wine Museum, San Sebastián minaret, Palacio del Marqués de Salvatierra (Palace of the Marquise de Salvatierra), Casa del Rey Moro (House of the Moorish King), Arco de Felipe V (Felipe V Arch), Sillón del Rey Moro (Seat of the Moorish King), Puente Viejo (Old Bridge), Fuente de los Ocho Caños (Fountain of the Eight Spouts), Padre Jesús church, Madre de Dios convent, Templete de la Virgen de los Dolores (Virgen de los Dolores chapel), Santa Cecilia church, El Socorro church, Bullring, Jardines de Blas Infante (Blas Infante gardens), La Merced church, Hotel Reina Victoria, Virgen de la Cabeza Mozarabic Monastery, Arabic Bathhouse, Roman archaeological site of Acinipo
Geographical Location: in the northern part of the Serrania (mountain range) de Ronda, between Sierra de las Nieves, Grazalema and Los Alcornocales Nature Parks. The city is 740 metres above sea level and 113 kilometres from the provincial capital. The area has an average rainfall of 650 litres per square metre and the annual average temperature is 15º C.
When a poet of the stature of Rainer Maria Rilke, with such a precise command of words, defined Ronda as the "dreamed-of city", he had his reasons. Surely, after visiting it the traveller will confirm the poet’s judgment, and agree even more the farther he gets from Ronda and remembers it as a dream instead of a place that he has actually touched.
A visitor on his first trip to this city will approach it with mental postcard images of a few of its monuments, its scenery or some of the many characteristic secluded corners that it has to offer, but none of this will serve as a reference or even be easily recognisable because the reality that he will find is very different. Ronda belongs to that select group of towns that can only be compared to themselves, with no possibility of imitation or resemblance to others. This is something that the traveller can prove to himself the moment he enters the historic quarter and sees the dazzling landscape and architecture appear before him, impregnated with history and legend that blur the line between reality and fantasy but that resoundingly affirms the unique character of Ronda.
The town is located on a plateau some 750 metres above sea level and seems to be divided into two areas by the famous Tajo de Ronda (Ronda Cliff), a gorge 100 metres deep and about 500 metres long with the River Guadalevín running along its floor. The western part of this plateau forms an area of cliffs similar to the one that forms the Tajo itself. Beginning here, an extensive rural landscape opens up that stretches to the mountains that make up the highlands that give the region its name.
The paintings in the La Pileta cave in Benaoján bear witness that the environs of Ronda were inhabited at least since the Paleolithic Period, and remains found in some excavations in the city of Ronda show that there were human settlements in the Neolithic Period. It was the historian Pliny, however, who placed Ronda within the time frame of history when in his writings he refers to the La Arunda of the sixth century BC that was inhabited by Bastulo Celts, while identifying the Iberians as being the founders of nearby Acinipo.
The Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians and Romans were later to successively establish themselves, for varying periods, in this area. The Romans named it Laurus and erected the Castillo del Laurel (Laurel Castle, no longer in existence), from which they kept watch over the warlike Celtiberian tribes. Acinipo rather than Ronda was more important in that era, however, as is shown by the fact that it came to mint its own coins.
After the disintegration of the Roman Empire Ronda and Acinipo witnessed the Germanic invasions, and the latter city was even occupied by the Byzantines, who permanently abandoned it in the seventh century when the Visigoths entered Ronda. The city began to acquire a certain political and economic importance with the arrival of the Arabs, who would rename it Izna Rand Onda.
In the late ninth and early tenth centuries, the entire Highlands and especially its capital intensely experienced the insurgency directed from Bobastro (Ardales) by Omar Ben Hafsun against the Caliphate of Córdoba. Later, around the first half of the eleventh century after the fall of the Caliphate of Córdoba, the Berbers made Ronda a Taifas Kingdom, under which the city would experience great urban growth.
The city lost its independence in 1066 when it came under the Kingdom of Seville. Beginning with that date and for almost 400 years Ronda would be dominated by different North African tribes and finally by the Nasrid dynasty of Granada. In such a long history, Ronda would know periods of growth and prosperity, stagnation and even regression. Christian troops entered the city in 1485.
Peaceful coexistence between Muslims and Christians did not last very long. The Moorish rebellion broke out and was particularly violent in the Highlands until the expulsion of all Muslims in 1609. As was the case with any town in Málaga, an era of decadence befell Ronda that would last until approximately the eighteenth century, when the city extended into the Mercadillo neighbourhood with construction of the Puente Nuevo (New Bridge) and the famous Plaza de Toros (Bullring).
French troops under the direct command of Joseph Bonaparte entered Ronda in 1810, an act that set off an unusual guerrilla movement throughout the Highlands. This movement remained alive even after the Napoleonic army abandoned the city in 1812 although it derived from bandit gangs, the most famous of all those in Spain in the nineteenth century and which have given rise to so many legends and stories.
With the opening of the railroad in 1891 and the construction of several roads, Ronda entered the twentieth century with a remarkable level of socio-economic development. In 1918 this town was selected for the Andalusian Congress at the urging of Blas Infante of Málaga, who is considered the father of the "Patria Andaluza" (Andalusian fatherland movement).
There are three routes to Ronda from the Costa del Sol. One leaves the city of Málaga by the A-357 highway in the direction of Cártama - Parque Tecnológico. About six kilometres past Ardales, turn onto the A-367, which passes through Cuevas del Becerro and leads straight to Ronda.
Another route leaves from San Pedro de Alcántara. The A-397 turns off the AP-7 motorway or the coastal highway N-340 and can be followed to Ronda without any changes. This is the route that is most used by people coming from the Western Costa del Sol. It is a very well-maintained road, but not without curves, and offers splendid scenery.
Finally, at Manilva you can also get off the AP-7 (N-340) onto the A-377 and go to Gaucín. There take the A-369, which connects with the A-397 just three kilometres short of Ronda.
Full graphical path: http://bit.ly/ryW3UA
You make your own trip, Click here Add a destination to your cart
Costa del Sol Tourist Board - Plaza de la Marina, nº4 - 29015 Málaga - Tel: +34952126272 - Fax: +34952225207 - firstname.lastname@example.org