Atarazanas Central Market
The Atarazanas Central Market is one of the finest examples of nineteenth-century architecture in Málaga. The building, however, dates back to the fourteenth century, when it was used as a shipyard in the days of the Nasrid dynasty. After the Reconquista, it served as a warehouse, a magazine, a military hospital and barracks.
In 1870, a project by architect Joaquín Rucoba materialised to develop a new food market. Thanks to the members of Málaga"s San Telmo Academy of Fine Arts, the old monumental door was spared, becoming part of the main façade, then overlooking the sea.
The building was designated as an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1979, and recently renovated to revert it to its original design.
Today, the Atarazanas Central Market is one of Málaga"s shopping hubs, drawing hundreds of Malagueños every day who come to buy fresh produce – one of the market"s hallmarks. It also attracts visitors wanting to taste the fried fish served at the bar or just take a look at the wonderful building as they soak up its traditional essence.
- Located in an urban area