The Roman remains in the archaeological site near the Lighthouse in Torrox make it one of the most valuable sites in Málaga. Dating from the first to fourth centuries, they comprise a villa, a salting factory, two ceramic kilns, a necropolis and thermal baths. Both excavations and historical sources reveal the area was an important farming and fishing area, which has been identified with Caviclum, a village mentioned in the Antoninus Route between Sexi (Almuñécar) and Menoba (mouth of the River Vélez). The Roman villa was unearthed at the excavation for the rehabilitation of the lighthouse. What they found was the layout of several rooms around a peristyle. Only a small portion to the west is open to public view; it was excavated again in 1940 by Simeón Giménez Reyna.
The area open to the public features several rooms around a small atrium with an ‘impluvium’ (water tank). The villa must have reached its zenith in the third century A.D. In Torrox archaeologists found valuable Roman mosaics depicting deities, animals or geometric motifs – rare specimens in good state of conservation. Many are still kept in the site itself. Part of the road has been found too; it can be seen in the exhibition area inside the Lighthouse.
- Located in an urban area
- Coastal area