The 16th-century San Miguel Arcángel in the town of Tolox is a building of great historical and artistic value. It completed construction in 1505 and has since served as a centre for Catholic celebrations and refuge for Christians persecuted during the Moorish uprising in 1568. During these years it suffered a fire that restricted its use. Architect Diego de Vergara, the grandmaster of the Málaga Cathedral, rebuilt it in 1577. It then went under a new restoration in 1632. The church has three naves with semicircular arches resting on quadrangular pillars separating them. The interior combines several styles, such as the Mudéjar armour, classic curved arches or the vaults of the main altar chapel. Outside, the square-shaped tower located at the head of the nave of the Gospel stands out, and the two covers, with semicircular arches between pilasters.
- Located in an urban area