The Real Colegiata de Santa María la Mayor (Royal Collegiate Church of the Great St. Mary) is known to be the first Renaissance church to be built in Andalusia (1530-1550). Its monumental façade is one of the most representative symbols of the city of Antequera.
It is formed by three arches divided by buttresses and is crowned with pinnacles. Its three naves, supported by Moorish roof framing, are separated by thick Ionic order columns, which imbue the interior of the church with an unmistakable Roman air. It was here that a grammar faculty was founded that gave rise to the Antequera School of poetry during the Golden Age. Its most distinguished member was Pedro Espinosa, who is commemorated by a statue in the square.
- Located in an urban area
- Inland area