This outstanding bullring, built in 1900, stands in the higher part of one of the most beautiful towns in Spain, on a rock next to the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción.
The access gate is in harmony with the landscape. The bullring looks like one more house. Its most remarkable feature is its oval shape (one of a few in Spain).
The first bullfighting event in Mijas took place on 8 September 1900. Since then, there have been hundreds of young bull running events. These have their origin in how young bulls were brought from the meadows in the past. Instead of using boxes, they were driven along roads and tracks to a rest place where now the Mijas Hotel is located.
After the break, the young bulls where driven across a deserted town centre to the bullring. In those days, just like they do now, the assistants must have felt tempted to run ahead of the bulls, with their legs and maybe a timely window as protection.
There are no running events now. The bullring was closed for rehabilitation from 1968 to 1977. Its new facilities include an infirmary, a chapel, a slaughterhouse, toilets, etc.
- Located in an urban area
- Coastal area
How to get here
From Costa del Sol, drive along Autovía del Mediterráneo (AP-7; N-340). If you are driving from Málaga in the direction of Cádiz, take the detour past Benalmádena (it is clearly indicated) into A-368, leading to Mijas. If driving from Fuengirola to Málaga, take Autovía del Mediterráneo and then A-387 to access Mijas. In either case, roads are clearly signposted.
Full graphical path: http://bit.ly/INc5gA